"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in."

-- Robert Frost

Monday, June 19, 2017

father's day

Today, I got to talk to my own father and celebrate the man that he is. What a lucky girl I am to have grown up in a home knowing what a cream of the crop father was.

Maybe that's why I married one.


This week holds a family reunion for his side of the family in California and we took off just a bit early to enjoy some fun and sun.

And what a great opportunity to kick it all off with a memory lane tour, starting with his childhood home.


We hung on every detail of every teenage antic and childhood plot.

Then headed over to his elementary school.



I loved watching these kids envision their father as a small seven year old.




We ate up the stories.




That seven year old boy probably never imagined his future self would sit on his daily elementary lunch table with all these adoring kids.


He said the water pretty much tasted the way he remembered it ... bad ;)



He showed us how to step up to get your lunch from the lunchroom window.



This spot where he first met his lifelong best friend.


Over to point out his high school locker ... next to that cute girl he never would talk to.



We ended our day with a bonfire over on the beach.


With some dancing and a song and a trivia game about his life.


He shared his testimony with all these kids of ours.


And they shared cards they had made expressing their love for him.


I'm so grateful for fathers. For all that they do and are. I'm forever glad for this man. He is the glue to our family and I'm constantly reminded of what a lucky girl I am to travel this world with him. 

Happy Father's Day!

1 comment:

  1. I loved imagining your kids trying to wrap their minds around their dad being a kid while he walked around his old stomping grounds! Somehow I never knew that you and Newel had come to come together from opposite sides of the country. That makes your love story even more amazing that God worked all those details out to bring you together, so you could create those beautiful children.

    ReplyDelete